The Indiana Glass

Company

Dunkirk, IN.

Subsidiary of Lancaster Colony Corporation


This is factual material which has been verified.

By: Rose Presznick (1974)


1896 - The Beatty-Brady Glass Company was formed by James Beatty and George Brady to make pressed glass.

1899 - It merged into the National Glass Combine.

1904 - Under the Indiana Glass Works name, it was closed. It probably had been leased from National Combine since it had been elsewhere reported that National had leased all its active plants.

1906 - They added pressed glass lamp fonts, although old records noted, add: lamps, but blown lamps were first mentioned in the 1916 records.

1907 - It was mentioned, add: Novelties. National was thrown into receivership because of the failure of a bank in Pittsburgh. The Indiana Glass Company was formed to purchase the Dunkirk plant.

1908 - It was sold to a group consisting of Frank Merry, Pres., Henery Batsch, Harold Phillips, Charles Smalley, Rathburn Fuller and James Merry Overleaf.

1916 - First mention of blown as well as pressed glass.

1917 - Add: Tableware, jellies, tumblers, goblets, lamps, stemware, bar goods, decorated tableware and novelties.

1919 - Add: Vases

1921 - Add: Soda fountain supplies.

1925 - Add: Auto headlights and signal glass.

1933 - Add: Tableware, plain and solid colors, tumblers, lamps, stemware, soda fountain supplies, decorates, vases and novelties.

1953 - Adding facilities at Hartford City, IN..

1954 - Add: Heat resisting glass.

1955 - Same furnaces but other major changes. Add: "Hy-Temp" heat resist ware OVERLEAF.

1958 - Furnace reduction and "lopped" officers, a bad sign. Some top offices not filled.

1960 - New money, president now R.K. Fox, lists tableware, milkglass, crystal, plain and decorated tumblers, lamps, stemware, hotel, soda fountain and bar supplies, novelties and lens, private mold work of all kinds, promotional and industrial glassware of all kinds.

1963 - First listing of Subsidiary of Lancaster Colony Corporation.

1966 - Add: Tableware, milkglass, crystal, also gold, olive glass, plain decorated tumblers, lamps, stemware, hotel, soda fountain and bar glassware, novelties and lens. Private mold work of all kinds, promotional and industrial glassware.

1970 - Lists J.E. Hooffstetter, general manager and Lee Erdman, P. manager.

1971 - Carnival Glass was introduced. The items were many and not made in limited editions. Since the molds were used to produce many types of glassware, it was not practical to affix a permanent trademark. This should be no problem to the collector or dealer today (1974) , since none of the Indiana Glass carnival items are reproductions or reissues.

1974 - In their fourth year of production of carnival glass, starting in 1971 with the Iridescent Blue, addend the Iridescent Gold, followed by Iridescent Sunset, a pretty amberina color and Iridescent Green, and followed this year (1974) by their Iridescent Amethyst, collectors can have an array of color to choose from.

After doing a program for the Hoosier Carnival Club in Plainfield, In., in 1972, we (the Presznick's) visited the Indiana Glass Company at Dunkirk and was amazed at the vast area this glass company covered. It started way back in 1896, when two men dreamed of starting a glass works in this area. The many problems and set-backs through he years ordinarily would have closed the glass works, but it took new life from time to time with men of vision and badly needed financial help - and has emerged a giant in the glass world of today (1974).

The officers in 1974 of the Indiana Glass Company were James E. Hoffstetter, president and general manager and Arthur L. Harshman, assistant manager.


!!!!! The pictures of Indiana Glass are very graphic intensive, it may take some time to load !!!!!!

COLORS & VALUES OF INDIANA GLASS

IRIDESCENT BLUE CARNIVAL GLASS

IRIDESCENT SUNSET CARNIVAL GLASS

IRIDESCENT GOLD CARNIVAL GLASS

IRIDESCENT AMETHYST CARNIVAL GLASS

IRIDESCENT LIME GREEN CARNIVAL GLASS


Table of Contents